A simple internet search shows that the most critical cybersecurity concerns remain a top issue in 2023. As hackers constantly improve their skills, their capabilities continue to grow. There isn’t any company or individual who is not at constant risk of breaches.
In today’s digital age, having robust cybersecurity measures is essential and RMM software helps provide further protection due to remote monitoring capabilities. IT specialists and MSP platforms can ensure real-time monitoring of all the devices under management with RMM tools. RMM tools notify teams and automatically address issues, reducing the need for manual intervention.
But getting optimal use out of remote monitoring and management (RMM) software requires the right tips and strategies, which are provided below.
Choose the Right RMM Software Provider
Take time to choose the right provider, as the wrong remote support software can introduce vulnerabilities to the networks.
When selecting the best remote support software, consider the following:
- Proper due diligence through thorough research of the various vendors and solution providers.
- Read plenty of customer reviews and testimonials for insights into product quality and customer experience with a vendor.
- Check the product features with particular attention to the RMM security features. For instance, MSP RMM software would have additional functionalities tailored to meet the needs of that specific industry. It would, for example, offer multi-tenancy support to serve multiple clients. Automation and scripting assist with repetitive tasks that go into managing the many accounts. Think about it like PSA software that helps automate and streamline service delivery by handling routine, repetitive work.
- Ensure the product displays compliance standards and security certification.
- Do the vendors offer after-sales support, and how responsive are they?
Carefully select the right RMM provider that aligns with your requirements.
Configure the RMM Alerts and Help Desk System
Did you know that today, you can use the best RMM software to identify possible threat patterns? Also, you can constantly review the reports generated by the remote support software.
Real-time remote monitoring enables swift identification and resolution of cybersecurity threats. But, dependence on humans to keep up with the tracking can result in missing critical information. Thus, configuring the RMM to provide alerts on potential threats is vital.
The best remote monitoring and management software should have help desk system integration. Features such as ticketing, incident management, ticket assignment, and escalation help with customer support. It’s an especially critical feature in the RMM for MSPs who manage many clients. The teams will achieve higher efficiency in tracking, managing, and resolving client issues.
Run Vulnerability Scans, Patch Management and Software Updates
As stated above, the RMM software can introduce some vulnerabilities into the network. Consider an MSP platform as an example. The IT gets real-time remote network tracking and can directly access and control third-party networks. That makes them an excellent hunting ground for hackers. That’s why there’s a need to follow the MSP guide to cybersecurity.
Further cyber security loopholes may come from former workers who can still access the networks using their credentials. There may also be unintentional coding of malware into the RMM and more.
Vulnerability scanning allows for the identification of weaknesses within the IT infrastructure. Thus, ensure the RMM software has vulnerability scanning as one of the key security features. Properly configure them to allow for timely scans, alerts, and reports of every scan.
RMM patch management encompasses remote identification, deployment, software updates, and security patch management. The IT teams can centrally control and automate the process, thus ensuring the systems are up to date. This provides additional protection from vulnerabilities.
Also, make it a routine practice to run regular software updates. Product developers are constantly churning out new security patches and other advances to improve the RMM software.
Finally, enable the RMM audit logs and constantly monitor and review them. Doing so helps detect suspicious activities or unauthorized attempts to access the system.
Implement Data Encryption
Cybercriminals often target sensitive data due to its immense value. And an MSP platform is a fantastic source of such due to the amount of third-party information they can access.
Data encryption protects sensitive information from unauthorized access, whether in transit or at rest in servers. It helps reduce data breach incidents, thus ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of data throughout its life-cycle.
Strong Access Control and Authentication
Who has access to the RMM tools? Proper controls mean ensuring the following.
- Ensure access is only from trustworthy and secure locations.
- Setting regional limits on the firewalls to prevent access from other countries
- Limiting access to the RMM system by placing it in a separate network away from your primary internal network
- Analyzing data routed to your network using the IPS firewall features
- Limit access strictly to authorized personnel
- Ensuring that all user accounts have multiple authentications
Remember, not restricting access to the right people puts the whole system at risk.
RMM User Education and Training
Cybercriminals excel at exploiting users to get access to systems. Cybercriminals commonly use methods like pretexting, phishing, and baiting to target individuals. And insider threats from employees present a considerable risk to businesses.
Consider the following statistics on insider threats:
- Over 34% of global businesses deal with insider threats every year.
- 66% of businesses are more concerned about accidental or malicious insider threats than external attacks.
- In 2022, there was a 47% increase in insider accidents from the previous two years.
The best remote monitoring system will only be effective if it doesn’t have to deal with human vulnerabilities. Proper use of education and training increases cybersecurity awareness and fosters a security-conscious culture.
Users learn critical factors like password management, data handling/protection, and safe internet and email practices. Regular updates and training are also a must since cybercriminals are constantly improving their methods of operation.
RMM systems play a crucial role in enhancing cybersecurity measures. But like any other software, you need the right tips and strategies to get optimal functionality from them. The strategies mentioned above can help you maximize the capabilities of RMM software.
An author of DigitalGpoint, We have published more articles focused on blogging, business, lifestyle, digital marketing, social media, web design & development, e-commerce, finance, health, SEO, travel.
For any types of queries, contact us on email@example.com.